Information Design - Flip & Exercise : 1 & 2

Berlian Johanna / 0360054
Information Design / Bachelore of Design in Creative Media (Hons)
Exercises


Instructions

 

Flip W1: Types of infographics & online tools
Presentation slides
In your group, find out what are the different types of infographic + the kind of information they’re applicable for + an example for each identified type.
Flip 1 (Group 4) - Types of infographic oleh Adriena Tan
Flip 1 (Group 4) - Types of infographic by Group 4

Individual task
Pick one free online infographic tool and re-design one poorly constructed infographic poster. 
Record the process into the your blog and present the redesigned infographics with before and after comparison and their personal rating + review of the online tool for:
- Difficulty, intuitiveness
- Usefulness
- Design templates, choices

Re-designing an infographic
During our week 1 class, we were instructed to find a poorly designed infographic and redesign it using a free online infographic tool such as Canva, Miro and more. We are then required to rate and review the tool we used.

Fig 1.1 Chosen poorly designed infographic

The issue in this poorly designed infographic are :
  • The color for the background makes the reader feels uninterested to read
  • Overbrought information
  • Lots of copy text scattered on backround, made confusion for readers to read and feel dizzy.
  • The design is to formal or boring for readers to feel relaxed in readings.
My Ideas : 
  • Simplify the main point information.
  • Using a warm color in order to feel relaxed and feel the friendly aura. 
  • Create a changes by arranging text info to make the readers or even patient easy to read.
Fig 1.2 (1st Redesign)

In this 1st redesigned I made something simple but somehow the same colouring elements are too much especially for the text marking and the question mark blended. Too much brownies or light brown, cream color. I can't decide because it was still an early design and I need to ask some tips in order to create the better version of it. But i Make it as official design.


Exercise 1 : Quantify & Visualize Data
Quantify (count) your chosen items and arrange the objects into a presentable layout or chart. Take a picture and submit!
Requirements:
Information must be presented as is. You are required to arrange the objects  with relevant indicators written out with pens to help you visualize the quantity and data. Take a picture of the final assembly and upload into your Google Drive folder.

Process
I use M&M for this exercise, I arrange to make it easy. In early design it was not very good as I ask my lecturer for suggestion. Planning for make it shape like color wheel but someone it still lack and not enough space. And so me and lecturer decided what't for the best design using another example.

Fig 1.1 M&M
(Process of dividing and arranging)
In this process I carefully arrange the 5 colors, some of them having weird shaped and oval shaped so I also divide it to classified them as 3 different shaped sizes : Oval, Normal & Upnormal.

Fig 1.2 Quantify & Visualize Data
(In process)
I thought it looks enough but it looks very empty, so I add something with marker and another information to show how many the colours overall and the total of M&Ms.

Fig 1.3 Drawing Pen & Marker
(Using it for create nice and lively design or hand writting)
I use Pen drawing for tracing the pencil sketch structure and use colourful marker to make it nice and appealing.

Fig 1.4 Final Result


Exercise 2 : L.A.T.C.H



Individual task
Location / Alphabet / Time / Category / Hierarchy
Organize a group of information into a visual poster that combines and utilizes the LATCH principles (minimum 4)

Requirements:
Size resolution: 1240 × 1750 pixels or 2048 × 2048 pixels.
Use the digital photo editing/illustration software available to assemble the Pokemon into a LATCH infographic poster. You can re-use back the images of the monsters but do create the rest of your visuals to complete the poster.

Process
I used "Pokedex" for L.A.T.C.H Infographic Poster design. I made a sketch on IbisPaint while looking some references or some idea how the structure form. Our lecturer noted to make sure our design managed to made a reader understand the informationwe designed. 

Fig 2.1 Sketch Idea Pokedex L.A.T.C.H

In this sketch, I use such as natural environment consist as a form of Elements.
Then I will mark the important locations what types of pokemon located base on their elements. I put along with the Pokemon evolutions and mention which generation pokemon they are. Maybe I also look some more reference if deciding to put the deeper information like Pokemon Stats. 

Feedback : I got a feedback how I need to improve and also try improvise or maybe add something connect with Hierarchy, To the point try my best to include all L.A.T.C.H principles to my poster design. Our lecturer also allowed me to do Ibis paint and then edit it to Adobe.

List Pokemon I used :
  1. Charmander - Fire G1
  2. Chikorita - Grass G2
  3. Mudkip - Water G3
  4. Shinx - Electric G4
  5. Darumaka - Ice G5
  6. Honedge - Steel & Ghost G6 
  7. Poipole - Poison G7
  8.  Nickit - Dark G8
First I draw the background places with lots of related element for Pokemons in Ibis Paint.

Fig 2.2 Early design (In progress)
After the sketch, I try to trace and made an early paint for the environment to represent pokemons element, but I decided to make changes or fix it.


Fig 2.3 Final Background Design

This is the result once I finished. At the same time, the drawing of the mountain, floating land and also the river along with lots of elements was drew with the design principle of hierarchy applied to create an fun combination of the element.


Speed paint of Background Design

I also create some of other elements to support the design for this L.A.T.C.H Infographics
L.A.T.C.H - Google Drive " ( I put my google drive link as a prove to show a progress evidence even the speed paint of my art work ) 

Fig 2.4 Pokemon Types Element



Fig 2.5 Water 

Fig 2.6 Steel

Fig 2.7 Ice
Fig 2.8 Grass

Fig 2.8 Ghost

Fig 2.9 Fire

Fig 2.10 Electric


Fig 2.11 Dark

Fig 2.12 Pin Point

 Speed paint for Pin Point & Pokemon Types Element

After that, I save my artwork and put in Adobe Illustration to edit & put the pokemon I choose base of their generation.


Fig 2.13 Searching Pokemon Image with transparent background

I go for google along look on official website to see their evolution and in order for me to arrange them in adobe.


Fig 2.14 Progress continue it and edting in Adobe Illustration

Fig 2.15 Final Progress 

In this progress for pokemon evolution process i put there along with labeling what elements type and the generation information. 

 
Final Result of L.A.T.C.H Infographic Poster

In this final result I feel enjoy this but at the same time it was painful as I need to brainstorming the idea and concept to fulfilling the L.A.T.C.H principles. The evolution mentioned, the Generation mentioned too, What type elements the pokemon, Illustration natural environment and also pin point. I hope nothing is missing to be mentioned and shown.

Flip W2: L.A.T.C.H.
Presentation slides
Make presentation about L.A.T.C.H along with examples : 
Flip 2 - LATCH oleh Adriena Tan
Flip 2 (Group 4) - L.A.T.C.H by Group 4

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Information Design - Project 1 & 2

Intercultular Design