Design Principle Project 1 - Self Potrait

25.1.2023 - 3.2.2023 ( Week 3 )

Berlian Johanna / 0360054 / Bachelor of Design ( Hons )  in Creative Media Design Principles 

Project 1

Instruction


 1. Brief Recap

In this week, Self portrait is a material to a self representation in the form of art how it reflects feelings and how individual view including themself. Self portrait doesn't need to potray you as an illustration, but as a person with flaws.

2. Design Process

2.1 Visual References

  
Fig 1.2 Inspiration for Self-potrait 
https://pin.it/Z3AKhNB

Fig 1.3 Inspiration of Self-portrait
https://pin.it/7C4W538

Fig 1.4 Inspiration of Self-portrait
 https://pin.it/6vtLBFZ

2.2 Idea Exploration

Fig 2.1 Sketch Of Spaceman

My first idea was about a spaceman with a view reflection in his abyssal mask, showing how in certain view are different opinion, idea and imagination.  

Fig 2.2 Base Pixel Line of Spaceman

Then I use the sketch concept and add minor detail in line using pixel art. To create a nice suits, I use symmetrical line and inspiration spaceman suits from every sources I found. I choose the pixel art for this because it looks like childish and simple concept.

Fig 2.3 Progress of First Spaceman Color with Different Perspective

For the first spaceman, I color the suits with blue mix violet along with yellow. For the helmet with cyan color I think it was an oxygen pipe that connect from helm to the collar neck suits. A silver metal color is for a back and attach collar neck between helm and the suits. 
The first spaceman view was sort of different planet in a bizzare unknown galaxy which it depict of explore in imagination. Exploring imagination could be fun, but too much choices it will end up lost and cause confusion for which one is deserve to be fulfilled.

Fig 2.4 Progress of  Second Spaceman Color with Different Perspective

The second spaceman have a same structure and color for the space suits but the helm view reflects differently. Unlike the first one, the second spaceman has certain 1 point view from each different stars that gaze surrounding him. Which represent of 1 target, wishes, or any kind of importance to be fulfilled. Despite there are tons of stars arround, it didn't get distraction in any circumstances. The spaceman may fall into deep stars world but it didn't loss the track.

Fig 2.5 Arrange 2 Spaceman become Together 

In my first idea for contrasting them, I arrange 2 spaceman to become together. But somehow it feels too packed and not sure either it's good to depict the differents or maybe there's another way to contrasting them more better view. 

Fig 2.6 Opposite Side of Spaceman Between Above and Below

 Another idea was making them in upside down view. The first spaceman on above and the second spaceman on below. It makes more easy to create the finishing touch which is the contrast space or realm as a wallpaper to showing more how strong the differences of them.

 Fig 2.7  Processing with Background

In this process by adding a background or a view to surrounding them, for the first spaceman I used a foggy cloud concept with purple violet colour making the first spaceman shows it more loss in track. For the second spaceman I used a void concept filled with heaven of stars showing the distraction to losing the focus for the second spaceman.

2.3 Final Outcome

 
Fig 2.7 Final Self-Portrait Design

I use pixel art  because the themes looks like imagination but in the childish form or something with pixelated cyber game aesthetic. At first I try using other art form but it didn't go well. About self-portrait there's some reason why it didn't show the face in this art. Helmet can be used for safety but also to cover the face and stay anonymous. As a person who afraid of expressing idea or appier on public, this concept quiet match for me. For the Maladaptive day dreaming concept, helmet can be represent as the reflection concept of how from the helmet reflect the views. 

The views potrayed of contrast as it was part of something in my mind. From this art there are 2 types of spaceman with different persepctive idea on mind. Space suits colour are commonly white and grey while I make it a nice cozy color as night. The technology with the shape heart on screen resemble as a desire. From the 2 same suits spaceman, their perspective idea on imagination depending in their mind to choose. Like in a space, it was infinite and unknown to explore. 

Starting from first spaceman traveling and wondering around the space, witnessing the beautiful planet to view. But it cannot desire to choose which one is better to be visited. In the end, it loss the track because can't decide and it was base how I draw a purple fog where purple colour means ambition and creativity. In other hand the second spaceman travel to the unknown void as it was mysterious but full of stars. It way possible for getting loss but this spaceman remain focus on 1 specific star in opinion and manage focus on the track.

2.4 Feedback

The lecturer didn't give any remarks but the result was fascinating enough to present it towards lecturer through private message. The lecturer gives compliment as I was do pretty good job.

2.5 Week Reflection

Through the overthinking for ideas and keep changing structure or form, I do learn something important while creating my piece of art work. In every process I have 2 sketches with different form. I try to choose which one is more potential for reflecting as my self-portrait. At first it was a line normal art, but I try to make it more unique art style and that's how I go for pixel art.
 
The process of colouring idea for the suits at first it's just plain light pastel, but then add a shade or try to use dark colour instead. The difficult part through the process was I have to think of adding something with this single spaceman design, especially the helmet reflection view before I have idea to create 2 of them. 

A lot of distraction happens and it's hard for me to maintain my focus on 1 point. Fowardly, I begin my experiment first by experimenting and mixing random colour. After that, for the first spaceman design has approve and so the background too. But there's something missing, another view which represent of the circumstance that I'm facing and get the solution. So I create another twin but this view I shown as it straight to potential point  where forming as a brightest star with value and worthy to prioritized without getting distraction. 

Since it was contrast I try to create some kind of line to seperating them as a different mind concept of maladaptive daydreaming and separated imagination. 
Maladaptive day dreaming also one of mental illness where the person will get dragged in their own imagination and causing loss in track of reality. 
It was quiet inconvenient but I use it as it was my main idea inspiration to create an art. I am shy to sharing the ideas especially towards people or even performing it but I still able try to share in the slow phase as I gain a courage hoping I'm not always stay hidden. 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Information Design - Flip & Exercise : 1 & 2

Information Design - Project 1 & 2

Intercultular Design