Major Project - Projects and Reflections

Berlian Johanna / 0360054

Major Project / Bachelore of Design in Creative Media (Hons)
Final Project - Animation and Refllections



Major Projcet LINK LIST!


 Instructions
  1. Do Project Management Progress, Feedback Log and Actions Taken / Planned
  2. Do Animation progress and make sure keep up with the updates
  3. Powerpoint proposal aboout the project and present it.

Progress


We asked to made PPT, but before that I planned to make animation due my specialist in Animating.  I have recieved some feedback of what should I do this far. First was planning for concept which was story.

When making the story concept, I have 3 idea : 

Fig 1.1 Story Concept Planning

Once I already decided which option I rather choose, Option 2 might be the best option. And so I made character concept first.

Fig 1.2 Character Concept

I made 3 not so effort character design to experiment the clothing and colour. From 3 character, I choose the simple one. Which is the first lady that will be our beloved hard working MC.

Fig 1.3 Character Sheet Concept

I made the angle from font, back, side even the face to illustrate what she looks like in different angle.
I even put some color palette from the main colour and for the shading.


Fig 1.4 Character Inspo Design

This is the little moodboard of our MC looks like, from character in the artstyle, clothing and expression. 



Now we go for the existing media. I am specific choose this kind of animation to proceed the depiction of anxiety and the feeling pressured in work place.


This are some example of the existing media animation that talk about anxiety from awareness, what is anxiety and experience with anxiety. Spread awareness used to educate people  about their mental condition. What is anxiety was showing what if feels like in diagnose, types, symptoms and cause. Experience with anxiety shows that it was common for human to feel that and they arent alone.

Many existing media portray anxiety through dramatic panic attacks, emotional breakdowns, or exaggerated visuals. While these methods are effective for quickly communicating emotion, they often simplify anxiety into obvious moments of distress. In reality, anxiety is frequently internal, subtle, and hidden behind normal daily routines.

Most mental health animations also focus on sadness or emotional collapse rather than the quiet pressure of trying to appear “fine.” This project benchmarks against existing awareness animations but takes a different approach by focusing on emotional pacing, minimal visuals, and the experience of maintaining productivity while struggling internally.    

Many stories about anxiety focus on extreme emotional moments, but fewer projects represent the quiet and gradual nature of internal stress. There is also limited use of clean, corporate-inspired visuals in mental health storytelling, despite productivity culture being closely connected to anxiety among teenagers and young adults. This project addresses this thematic gap by presenting anxiety as something hidden beneath a controlled and organised lifestyle. The animation explores how modern expectations to remain productive, calm, and successful can slowly become emotionally overwhelming, creating a more relatable representation for the target audience.

Fig 1.6a StoryBoard 1

Fig 1.6b StoryBoard 2

Fig 1.6c StoryBoard 3

The animation Everything Is Fine explores how anxiety builds beneath a calm and controlled appearance. It begins with a clean and organised environment, where the protagonist appears productive and reassured by positive messages like “Stay organized” and “You’re doing great.”
As the story progresses, small changes begin to appear. Tasks increase, messages feel more pressuring, and the layout becomes slightly messy. This reflects the start of overthinking and internal stress.
In the climax, the phrase “Everything is fine” repeats and fills the screen, creating a sense of overwhelm and loss of control. The animation then cuts to a blank screen, followed by a quiet ending such as “I’m tired,” revealing the protagonist’s true emotional state.
Overall, the story shows how anxiety can grow gradually, even when everything seems fine on the outside.
 
Fig 1.7 Animatic Sketch from Story Board

In this part I recieved feedback, my lecturer want me to shorten it and experiment with the scenes, and overall I just need to and bgm. Need more throughout the ideal. Try shortening it into 1 half mins animation. Try a short or mini sequel. Which one scene with colour limit with black or white or where you are doing it. Explore it. and for BGM I use Freesound.


I have lots of struggle..
I can't post more further but to describe my deepest thank you to everyone, this project was me. 
MC and I are similar, both struggling mentality and both try their best to be the best. In tears and sweat, motivation and burnt-out. I presented you the final matserpiece as a farewell.

Fig 1.8 

Thank you for the journey, so far lets mark the past and move for the future.



Reflection

Thank you deepest again from everyone who supported me.

It was a long journey as a student who study BDCM and choose animation. When I was little, animation in anime caught my eyes and that's the day I jump into world of art. I get in several media, fandoms, art communities and more. I was just a kid back then. Admires this hardworking animators, artist, writer, desginer. They inspired me to become animator, some animation in youtube 2015, it was golden era for me where so many unique artstyles, representetives. This shows art also can be used as message sending to people either about knowledge, emotions or even just pure out of hobbies. I learn character design in order to be more improve too when making original character, from just mere hobbies turn into the burning passion.  Several stories made, from fantasies into modern world that we called AU. 

But again with deep heartfelt I have come so far, it was too emotional for me writng this. I always in the state of pressured to be perfectionist, professional. But I just couldn't. This work even it wasnt the best was everything. There are some work/masterpiece I made with just bare effort but this one, it's my soul piece. I usualy never being so non effort until this project come. I sometimes felt very insecure that people are better. Afterall I admit I am still need learn more in animating, still lack and sometimes being stubborn. But this project, I wished maybe one day I will try remastered it. I will never give up again and start to love my own art without need to compare with other artist. Each artist has their flaws an imperfections too. And that's why art is freedom. No bound shackled by law but a free spirited to express everything.

From beloved creator, Berlian Johanna. 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Sonic Design - Exercises

Sonic Design - Project 1 & 2

Sonic Design - Final Project